Thursday, July 26, 2012

Close Encounters with the Olympic Torch

Today the Olympic Torch passed right outside of my office around 9:00 a.m.  I thought about watching it from my 7th floor window, but my friend Matt convinced me to go down and get close to the action.  It was a beautiful sunny morning and thousands of people lined the street as the Olympic flame made its way up Ludgate Hill towards St. Paul's Cathedral.  In addition to all of the people in the street, there were people hanging out of windows and standing on the rooftops.  The atmosphere was festive and even the gigantic corporate sponsor vehicles didn't spoil the excitement.  Too bad I can't get Matt's video to upload properly.

About 8 hours later at 5:00 p.m. Garett spied the Torch on Oxford Street.

The anticipation for tomorrow night's Opening Ceremonies is building!  There are lots of people with official Olympics badges on the tube, at my smoothie shop, and everywhere else you look.  Stay tuned for more updates.



The crowds line Ludgate Hill in central London


British pride


Who is this goofy guy?  Wenlock the weird mascot


Can't believe I was THIS close to the Olympic flame (apologies for the torch bearer's fist)


Garett spied the Torch later in the day on Oxford Street - can you see it on top of the bus?



No comments:

Post a Comment